[OE-core] Whitespace not allowed in COMPATIBLE_MACHINE

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Tue Nov 29 11:08:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 11:12 +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Have had a lot of problems trying to get a recipe running.
> I finally discovered that "COMPATIBLE_MACHINE" is sensitive to whitespace.
>This is a real PITA expecially since COMPATIBLE_MACHINE is yet to be
>documented in the manual

Indeed, it's a regular expression.  This is mentioned in
documentation.conf:

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE[doc] = "A regular expression which matches the
MACHINES support by the package/file. Failure to match will cause the
file to be skipped by the parser."

If you think the description can be improved then I'm sure patches would
be welcome.

>Working:
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "machine1"
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "machine1|machine2"
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(machine1)"
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(machine1|machine2)"
>
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "machine1"
>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE += "|machine2"

I'm slightly surprised that this last example would work.  It ought to
be equivalent to...

>COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "machine1 |machine2"

p.