[OE-core] Adding kernel patches using "git am"?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Nov 30 15:11:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Ulf Samuelsson
<openembedded-core at emagii.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason for using "patch" instead of "git am" on let's say the
> kernel.
>
> If I want to do some modification, of the kernel, I can like Graeme
> description at
> http://www.slimlogic.co.uk/2011/05/openembeddedangstrom-kernel-workflow/
> do
> bitbake -c configure virtual/kernel
>
> and then have an initialized git tree ready to be modified.
>
> "git am" is of course more sensitive to the patch quality than "patch"
> but that has some advantages as well.
>
> It also makes the recipe more complex at this stage.

echo PATCHTOOL_pn-linux = "git" >> conf/local.conf # (note, uses
git-apply, not git-am, but it's a step in the direction you want,
anyway, and by inspecting patch.bbclass and lib/oe/patch.py and
looking for that patch tool, you can see how you'd go about adding one
for git-am if you desired it)
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com