[OE-core] [RFC] .la files cleanup

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Mon Oct 3 14:55:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 14:58 +0400, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
> My proposal would be to include a special task or a
> do_install_append() part that
> will remove specified .la files. (like ${libdir}/xorg/modules/*/.la,
> ${libdir}/matchbox-panel/*.la, etc.). I see this usually done in
> do_install or in special do_install_append
> parts, but I think it would be better to handle this globally.

I guess the ideal solution would be to find a way to stop libtool from
installing these things in the first place.  It isn't totally obvious to
me that the .la files are a net benefit even for real shared libraries,
and for plugins I think they are probably a net loss in most/all cases.

When this issue last came up it seemed that Richard's preferred fix was
to just ship the .la files in FILES_${PN}-dev, and I guess that approach
does at least have the merit of simplicity.  See:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2011-July/005533.html

p.