[OE-core] base.bbclass: Implement PACKAGECONFIG

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Oct 6 14:56:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 16:24 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 03:18:27PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > These enabled options to be specified in the form:
> >
> > PACKAGECONFIG ?? = "<default options>"
> > PACKAGECONFIG[foo] = "--enable-foo,--disable-foo,foo_depends,foo_runtime_depends"
> >
> > So that DEPENDS, RDEPENDS_${PN} and EXTRA_OECONF can be automatically
> > built from specific options. Those options can easily be customised
> > by the distro config or the user.
> >
> > Based on some ideas from Chris Elston <celston at katalix.com> but with
> > an improved easier to use one line interface.
>
> 1) How can user check on target if his package was built with foo enabled?
>    - is there some plan to keep this in ipk/deb metadata?

No plan. I'll state very clearly here for the record:

THESE OPTIONS SHOULD ONLY BE USED WITH ONE SETTING FOR A GIVEN DISTRO

(otherwise the package feeds would be inconsistent).

There is no realistic way we can do anything else. We're giving users a
smoking gun here, if they chose to shoot themselves with it, that is
their own problem.

There are a lot of good reasons people may want to configure things, I
don't think it acceptable to make it difficult but it does mean people
need to take a certain about of responsibility.

> 2) Is it possible to force some PACKAGECONFIG enable/disabled from
>    DEPENDS/RDEPENDS, ie bar_1.0.bb with foo enabled, depends not only on
>    abc recipe but needs abc also with foo enabled.

No. Distros (or the user) are going to be responsible for setting up a
consistent set of PACKAGECONFIG options.