[OE-core] Use for filedeps/rpmdeps data?

Daniel Lazzari dlazzari at leapfrog.com
Fri Oct 7 21:21:22 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I noticed today that one of our recipes takes a very long time to get through the do_package task. The recipe has a couple of binaries and a whole lot of assets (thousands of audio files). It takes over 20 minutes for the do_package task to complete on my local desktop. I finally tracked it down to the package_do_filedeps function which appears to be running an rpmdeps process for each file in each package. As far as I can tell, it just then dumps that data to text files in pkgdata and only seems concerned with the binaries. Can anyone shed some light on what this info is used for? Should it only be concerned with executables and libraries (there is currently no filter on it)? Do I even need that data if we are using ipkg instead of rpm?

Thanks,

Dan Lazzari Jr.
Firmware Engineer
dlazzari at leapfrog.com