[OE-core] PREFERRED_PROVIDER weirdness with libltdl-dev

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Oct 10 17:23:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

> NOTE: multiple providers are available for runtime libltdl-dev (libtool-nativesdk, libtool)
> NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match libltdl-dev
>
> So I added that do angstrom:
>
> koen at dominion:/OE/tentacle/sources/meta-angstrom$ git grep libltdl
> conf/distro/include/angstrom-core-tweaks.inc:PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libltdl-dev = "libtool"
>
> But the warning remains:
>
> koen at dominion:/OE/tentacle/sources/openembedded-core/meta$ MACHINE=beagleboard bitbake -e task-sdk-target | grep PREFERRED_PROVIDER | grep ltdl
> NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match libltdl-dev
> # PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libltdl-dev=libtool
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libltdl-dev="libtool"
>
> And it keeps trying to build -sdk stuff

The warning is referring to the *runtime* package, but there's
actually no existing syntax to specify a runtime preference directly.
You can't say I want this recipe as the provider for that runtime
package, not this other one. The only thing you can do is specify a
build time preference on that same recipe, which will be seen as an
implicit preference on the runtime. E.g.:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_libtool = "libtool"

This is a glaring weak spot in bitbake's preference configuration, in
my opinion. It would be nice to address this more directly.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com