[OE-core] [RFC] Preventing race when compiling external kernel modules

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Tue Oct 18 08:19:05 UTC 2011

* Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> [111014 13:43]:
> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 12:47 +0200, Anders Darander wrote:
> > * Anders Darander <anders at chargestorm.se> [111014 09:55]:
> > > In our local tree, I've circumvented this race by applying a patch like
> > > [3]. (Well, we could likely have put the lock in do_make_scripts()
> > > instead of module_do_compile(), as we have done currently). Obviously,
> > > I'm not proposing to apply this patch, as it depends on lockfile from
> > > the procmail-package (host-package).

> > Just to confirm, it seems (after a very few tests) that it indeed is
> > enough to guard the do_make_scripts() with the lock.

> > However, the question on how to make the real solution remains...

> I've not tested this but it might give you enough info to test
> something:

> (Basic idea is to promote that function to a task, then apply a lock to
> it).

Just to give you some status feedback.
Your code gave me enough to get my previously failed attempt at
promoting the function to a task. Which obviously showed a few new
problems, which I think I've solved. I'll just want to test it a few
more times, but expect a patch today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander