[OE-core] [CONSOLIDATED PULL 14/16] distro-tracking: update data for some toolchain recipes

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:36:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 03:25:52PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 16:33 -0700, Saul Wold wrote:

> > > I agree that this should be put into the recipes. Besides this allows
> > > for checking if it was updated when the version has been updated.
> > >
> > > If done right, when updating the version this data will be updated
> > > together. I see no change in the amount of changes.
> > >
> > > A plus of this choice is it will be more difficult to forget to update
> > > that info. This happened in last qt update for an example.
> > >

> > This may need to be something that the TSC brings up, possibly we can
> > talk about it in Prague next week.
>
> So just to give some background here, the information in those files was
> added by Yocto people to give some idea of the update status of various
> recipes. This included when the version was last checked/updated for
> recipes which we can't automate that process for, when certain cleanup
> checks were made, what the general state of the recipe was and who on
> the Yocto team was specifically looking after given recipes.
>
> When it was discussed, some of it was Yocto specific, some of it wasn't
> and popular opinion was against it going into the recipes themselves. I
> was ok with that given we have the pn- overrides and can handle the
> problem that way just fine.
>
> OE-Core happened and we kept the data with OE-Core at least for now. We
> have several options:
>
> a) Keep the data where it is
> b) Merge the data into the recipes
> c) Move the data out of OE-Core
>
> Since a lot of that data is fairly Yocto process specific, it may make
> sense to move it over to meta-yocto...

I don't like "global" files where many people should maintain their info
and it's so easy to forgot when it's somewhere else then real changes
(like it was with checksums.ini and sane-src*.ini).

So I vote for b) Merge the data into the recipes, only problem with this
is that if we have 2 versions of foo (foo_1.0.bb, foo_git.bb) without
any foo.inc, will we create foo.inc just for distro-tracking info? Maybe
we should and move at least DESCRIPTION and similar variables too.

c) moving it to meta-yocto will probably make distro-tracking info even
more outdated as sometimes different people then who did upgrade in
oe-core will have to update distro-tracking info in this layer (this is
also the case now sometimes, but with distro-tracking info in recipe we
can try better to update it with upgrades).

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com