[OE-core] serial-console: IMAGE_FEATURE, MACHINE_FEATURE or DISTRO_FEATURE?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Mon Oct 24 07:27:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

Otavio is cleaning up systemd in meta-oe to work with his initramfs setup and we stumbled onto a challenge that we'd like some more feedback on.

The old sysvinit recipes always hardcode a serial getty into inittab, systemd installs a getty@<port>.service file instead. Otavio doesn't need (or want) a getty on serial in his setup, but I need (and want) it on all my setups. So we agreed that it needs to be a feature :)

I nitially suggested MACHINE_FEATURE, which Otavio implemented here: http://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/13713/ , but I'm having second thoughs about it and am leaning toward an IMAGE_FEATURE instead. Since this involves *_FEATURE and we want systemd to move into oe-core eventually I'm moving the discussion from OE-devel to OE-core. Not much discussion has been going on, so I hope we'll get some more feedback here. I'll try to buttonhole some more OE developers at ELC and report back as well.

regards,

Koen