[OE-core] how to set time zone

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Oct 28 14:43:02 UTC 2011

Setting the default TZ for the image is something that should be done in a post
install script for the tzdata package or something similar.

Since the /etc/localtime is usually a copy/hardlink or symlink to the timezone
data we don't want to package it up.  Instead we want to perform the actions
that a program running on the target system itself would use to change the timezone.

So I think the easiest approach is to add a system level configuration variable
(set the default).

Then use this variable to populate the configuration file that specifies the
system timezone... and then use the post install process to check the contents
of a text file.

Alternatively do this via an initscript -- but for folks w/ read-only
filesystems I'm not sure that will work.

--Mark