[OE-core] OE-Core release process

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Sep 16 19:06:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 14:49, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Friday 16 September 2011 18:18:43 you wrote:
>> They all ended up in oe-core the problem is when they're not yet
>> merged but I want to merge them into my tree for use, test or
>> anything.
>
> Ah, so what you mean is not that the patches were in poky, but that there
> sometimes were pull requests pointing to a branch that was on top of poky. The
> thing is, the patches are exactly the same.

Yes but not pullable directly into oe-core tree.

>> The combo-layer was one example. It was made available on poky contrib
>> tree and I had to manually export the patches instead of pulling it
>> into a branch for testing.
>
> Git makes this almost trivially easy though, and in the combo-layer example it
> was only a few patches.
>
> Personally, I always post my OE-core pull requests on top of an OE-core
> branch; doing that means *I* have to manually bring the patches across as files
> and use git-am to apply them onto a branch of OE-core though. I think those of
> us working on Poky know this is the accepted practice and try to do it all of
> the time, occasionally someone might forget or feel that for an RFC patch it's
> not worth the effort; but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

Yes I know but wouldn't be better if you could base your work on
oe-core and avoid doing this?

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio at ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br