[OE-core] armv6-novfp and armv6-vfp and tune files

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sat Sep 17 16:13:09 UTC 2011

hi,
I've an HTC Dream, it has an armv6 CPU but lack a vfp unit.
I want to add correct support for it in meta-smartphone/meta-htc.
In order to have a correct machine config that works a tune inc file
must be required in it.

In openembedded-core there is no tune file yet for an armv6 that lacks a
vfp, but there are theses two files:
meta/conf/machine/include/tune-arm1136jf-s.inc
meta/conf/machine/include/arm/arch-armv6.inc

tune-arm1136jf-s.inc requires arch-armv6.inc.

So I need to create an tune-arm1136ej-s.inc which requires an
arch-armv6-novfp.inc(also to be created).

however I wonder how to create the armv6-novfp.inc:
arch-armv6.inc has things like that inside:
TUNE_FEATURES_tune-armv6 ?= "armv6 vfp"
or:
PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS_tune-armv6 = "${PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS_tune-armv5e-vfp}
armv6-vfp"
or:
TUNEVALID[armv6] = "Enable instructions for ARMv6"

in the recipes and in the feeds and in the workdir it's labeled as
"armv6-vfp".

So the correct way would be to label an armv6 that lacks a vfp "armv6".

however, I fear that the armv6 override is already taken, and also maybe
the arch-armv6.inc should be moved to arch-armv6-vfp.inc.

Denis.