[OE-core] [RFC] policy proposal: INC_PR

Koen Kooi koen at beagleboard.org
Tue Sep 20 20:36:48 UTC 2011

Op 20 sep 2011, om 22:30 heeft Richard Purdie het volgende geschreven:

> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 14:10 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 9/20/11 2:04 PM, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov wrote:
>>> Hello, colleagues,
>>>
>>> While debugging some stuff in oe-core & company I've noticed that
>>> lot's of packages
>>> either don't use INC_PR, or misuse it (e.g. .inc has INC_PR, but
>>> then
>>> .bb just defines PR = "rX").
>>
>> I've noticed similar things.  I'd agree, we should define and use
>> INC_PR for
>> items that have .inc files.  There have been many times that I need
>> to fix a bug
>> in the .inc file and end up manually updating the PR is 2 or 3
>> recipes that use
>> the .inc.
>>
>> One question though, how do we handle packages with multilib .inc
>> files?
>>
>> INC_PR += ...  (or is it .=)
>
> I'm going to disagree here. I'd actually like to see the whole PR
> thing
> become irrelevant. Its insane we have to spend so much time doing
> something the system should be able to figure out for itself. It
> currently serves two purposes:
>
> 1. Triggers rebuilds of packages when they change
> 2. Handles package feed upgrades correctly
>
> For 1, we can use the sstate checksums and for 2, we can use some kind
> of PR server, either local or networked.
>
> I'm therefore proposing that after the current release is finished, we
> enable the BasicHash signature generator (which adds the sstate
> checksums to the stamp files) and stop bumping PR values (so INC_PR
> can
> die and PR values can likely fade out of recipes). If the tooling we
> have for 2 isn't enough we'll then just simply have to improve it and
> make it work.
>
> Comments?

Judging from the previous big changes in OE-core, can we have the
tooling actually work before abolishing PR?
AFAICT the PR 'syncing' across all builders for a distro hasn't been
solved properly yet. With the current tooling it is impossible for
people to rebuild a tag and get the same PRs as the master build had
at the time of the tag.