[OE-core] Branch management for OE-Core release

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Sep 23 16:41:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 20:33, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 09:49 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> I noticed the 2011-1 branch today and it seems it is not fully merged
>> into master; this is a mistake since it will create an upgrade path
>> problem for users of it.
>
> Its a branch, master continues on, that branch just gets fixes suitable
> for a stable/release branch. I appreciate people have different
> definitions of stable and we need to do a better job of documenting what
> those criteria are. As a quick attempt:

The point here is not about what is allowed to get into it or not but
how it is going to work related to master.

The point is that if we keep it as a branch and doesn't merge it into master.

If we merge the stable branch into master, from time to time, users
that want to go to move to master can merge master into their branch
as it has a common parent and the conflicts fixed. If it is done too
late, it becomes a nightmare.

This is something I'd like to discuss and see how people think about
the process and what way we ought to use.
--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio at ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br