[OE-core] Branch management for OE-Core release

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Sep 26 12:47:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 09:27 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 06:23, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > FWIW, something like git cherry can identify your local changes so you
> > could apply them on top of master so there are other ways to make your
> > usecase work...
>
> This breaks the value of using a SCM since you won't have a common parent.
>
> As Chris, I'd prefer to have it merged.
>
> The only way it can complicate issue is if fixes are cherry-picked
> into the stable branch. If they're are done into the stable and merged
> into master this works wonderfully.

No, this just just plain wrong. Changes go into master which is where
development happens. They can then filter into other branches (there may
be more than one) as needed.

To illustate the problem, if a change is needed in two different release
branches you'd commit to both and then cherry-pick both into master?