[OE-core] Branch management for OE-Core release

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Sep 26 15:30:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:38, Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:
> Just the other day I was doing a conversion from svn to git for a
> project and ran into a related issue. There was no merge metadata in
> svn from the release branches back to master, so now I have to
> painstakingly step through and make absolutely certain all the fixes
> went into both. For old releases, this is particularly difficult (and
> I think is part of otavio's concern), as you can no longer just merge
> from release/stable to master sanely, due to refactoring, renames, etc
> on the master branch.

I ended up abbandoning our current OE-classic tree due this. I had a
tree that was forked in 2009 and it turned to be impossible to merge
it into master since it has conflicts everywhere. The problem is that
the amount of changes we did is quite small but the lack of knowledge
of SCM regarding what changes made it the fact eaiser to start over
again.

--
Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio at ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br