[OE-core] should all class files be inherited by *something*?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 2 21:39:20 UTC 2012

On Monday 02 April 2012 17:34:26 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   poking around the meta/classes/*.bbclass files and one looked a bit
> odd -- scons.bbclass.  i was under the impression that class files
> were supposed represent a *general* kind of functionality so i was
> curious as to what this file represented.
>
>   more to the point, it doesn't look like anything in oe-core inherits
> that class.  so what exactly is its purpose?

I believe it's for supporting the scons build system. scons isn't hugely
popular though so I guess it's not surprising that nothing in OE-Core uses it.

>   and following up on that, another example of that kind of file is
> oelint.bbclass -- again, i don't see anything in oe-core that inherits
> it.

I think oelint.bbclass is a really out-of-date recipe lint checking tool. I
wonder if anyone has used it lately. There could be value in bringing it up-
to-date though.

It's worth noting that we may have a number of classes that are supposed to be
generally useful in OE-Core that aren't used within OE-Core itself. This is a
good idea because it reduces the proliferation of different versions of such
classes in multiple layers.

Cheers,
Paul

--