[OE-core] Schizophrenic package management

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Apr 3 18:03:56 UTC 2012

On 4/3/12 12:52 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Why are both opkg-native and rpm-native needed to build images?
> When I asked this previously, I was told that rpm was used because
> it has superior dependency tracking.  Fair enough (I guess), but
> then why is opkg required if I build an image using
>     PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_rpm"

rpm-native is used for internal dependency scanning.  The exact tool is
"rpmdeps".  These dependencies may or may not be rolled up into package level
dependencies by the packaging tool (which may be opkg, deb or rpm).  (see
package.bbclass)

opkg-native is used for handling alternatives and similar during packaging and
image creation.  So it's also needed.

I don't believe opkg, or rpm are needed on the target image though, unless of
course you select one of them as the packaging type and you want target package
management.

--Mark