[OE-core] Schizophrenic package management

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Wed Apr 4 10:23:49 UTC 2012

On 03.04.2012 20:17, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 4/3/12 1:07 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> (And RedHat based linux distributions don't have any concept of alternatives.
> They generally decide which binary package will provide the functionality
> and that is the defacto standard for a given release.  OE on the other hand
> is closer to Debian based systems in that regard.  We can build multiple
> packages that may provide the same functionality, then it's up to the
> package install time to determine which version of the functionality is
> used as the default.)

FYI: openSUSE 12.1 (rpm-based) uses

Name        : update-alternatives
Version     : 1.15.8.10
Release     : 9.1.2
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Fri Nov 18 12:16:48 2011
Group       : System/Management
Size        : 67090
License     : GPLv2+
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Sat Oct 29 12:13:51 2011, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Source RPM  : update-alternatives-1.15.8.10-9.1.2.src.rpm
Build Date  : Sat Oct 29 12:13:28 2011
Build Host  : build16
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
Vendor      : openSUSE
URL         : http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dpkg/
Summary     : Maintain symbolic links determining default commands
Description :
update-alternatives creates, removes, maintains and displays
information about the symbolic links comprising the alternatives
system. It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or
similar functions to be installed on a single system at the same time.
For example, many systems have several text editors installed at once.
This gives choice to the users of a system, allowing each to use a
different editor, if desired, but makes it difficult for a program to
make a good choice of editor to invoke if the user has not specified a
particular preference.

Steffen

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058