[OE-core] How to rebuilt the package after modified the source code in open embedded bitbake ...

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 4 11:31:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 09:47 +0200, Eric Bénard wrote:
> Le Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:21:02 +0200,
> Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel at googlemail.com> a écrit :
>
> > 2012/4/4 Eric Bénard <eric at eukrea.com>:
> > > Hi Surenda,

> > > bitbake u-boot -c cleansstate
> > > bitbake u-boot
> > >
> > > Eric
> >
> > Hi,
> > please note this will delete local changes (in thework directory) to
> > the sourcecode!
> >
> > If you only want to compile again you can use
> >
> > bitbake -c compile -f u-boot
> > and then "bitbake u-boot" to build the other tasks.

There is some documentation in the manual about this:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#platdev-appdev-insitu

> oops, I read his message to fast and didn't notice the "i made some
> changes in the source code , which is created in the Temp work
> directory".
>
> For this kind of work, I prefer to do :
> bitbake u-boot -c configure
> copy the source from workdir to a directory outside OE
> then change to this dir and
> git init
> git add .
> git commit -m init
> then you can hack it outside OE (and compile it using a meta-toolchain
> for example)
> and in the end you can easily produce a patch using git that you
> integrate back into OE.

Eric: You should probably look at the externalsrc.bbclass since it gives
you a way to do things like this yet also build and package it with the
usual build system:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#ref-classes-externalsrc