[OE-core] Do we have a package that installs the kernel headers and config into the target?

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:11:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Cui, Dexuan <dexuan.cui at intel.com> wrote:
> Darren Hart wrote on 2012-04-06:

>> While I understand there are valid use cases, I think this is generally
>> contrary to workflow of the project. We build the OS, it runs on the
>> target. This is building a general purpose OS, and then having it build
>> itself out more. It doesn't feel like an embedded workflow.
> I totally agree with you.
>
> Unluckily we'll have to face an imperfect world:
> E.g., in the ESDC contest, after the students boot the board with
> Yocto Linux, they attach a Realtek wifi device and try to build and
> install the driver.

FWIW, I get this same complaint from clients quite often.

The reason is usually quite similar to that described above -- they
are adding new hardware to their product and have been given driver
source code and a make file from the vendor.  They want to do a quick
evaluation and don't want to deal with the hassle of fighting with
vendor code that often isn't cross compile friendly.

I've always been able to help them through the issue, either by doing
a recipe for them or teaching them how to get the appropriate
headers/config onto their hardware for a native build.  But it would
be nice to just say "use zypper to install package xyz" to enable a
native module build.

Steve