[OE-core] cleanup-workdir

Andreas Oberritter obi at opendreambox.org
Fri Apr 13 09:47:14 UTC 2012

On 13.04.2012 03:49, Kang Kai wrote:
> On 2012年04月13日 02:47, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
>> Hello Kai,
>>
>> because I was low on disk space, I just tried scripts/cleanup-workdir
>> for the first time. My observations:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>

>> 1.) It deletes work directories that were built for other machines
>> (archs) than the current one. I guess the list of architectures to
>> handle should be queried from bitbake to avoid this.
> Do you mean that you build for 2 archs under the same "build" directory?

I have two build directories, one for each machine, sharing a single tmp
directory.

The basic layout looks roughly like this:

$OE/build/machineA/conf/local.conf
$OE/build/machineB/conf/local.conf
$OE/tmp/work/

> Even in this way the script only delete the packages' build dir for old
> versions.

That's right, but different machines may have different versions due to
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE settings. In my setup, there's also a layer for each
machine, which contains hardware drivers etc. Although every machine
provides the same set of drivers (same ${PN}), the versions differ slightly.

> Your requirement is that cleanup-workdir just clean the build dirs for
> current arch, right?

Yes. For each arch listed in PACKAGE_ARCHS (or
ALL_MULTILIB_PACKAGE_ARCHS?) for the current machine.

>> 2.) It doesn't delete work directories of previously deleted recipes.
> Because when the recipe gone, I can NOT tell whether the directory is
> left by bitbake or created by user.
> I will list them and let user to choose delete them or not.

It should be safe to assume that there are no directories created by the
user, as tmp/work is known to be managed by OE. However, recipes don't
disappear very often, so asking the user seems to be fine.

Regards,
Andreas