[OE-core] MIPS vs MIPS32 tunings -- summary and questions

Andreas Oberritter obi at opendreambox.org
Mon Apr 16 15:15:38 UTC 2012

On 16.04.2012 16:42, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 15:55 +0200, Andreas Oberritter wrote:

>>> If the tune should reflect the optimization, then mips should be renamed
>>> to mips1 and specified explicitly using -march=mips1, in order to
>>> protect against changing defaults when using a newer compiler. However,
>>> as Phil pointed out, there are many more optimization settings, e.g. -O2
>>> vs. -Os, that aren't encoded into the package arch, so the goal to have
>>> distinct package archs for different binaries won't be reached.
>>>
>>> I don't see what a common "mips" package arch would give us. Within OE,
>>> you'd usually compile all your applications for the package arch of your
>>> target system. Adding compatible package archs to the feed just
>>> increases the complexity of online updates.

>>> Also, mips1 could be added back anytime if anybody starts using it.

>>> Actually I have (had) machines specifying mips32el and mips32el-nf as
>>> their DEFAULTTUNEs, which your first patch, that got applied upstream,
>>> broke. But I've already switched to use your latest patch using mipsel
>>> and mipsel-nf instead, (which I prefer over the former).

>>> I'm fine with either way that restores mips/mipsel for mips32 targets
>>> *before the release*, because the online update feeds broke and all
>>> packages had to be built again from scratch.
>>
>> Richard, can you please state your opinion about this issue?
>>
>> The mips package feed (e.g. qemumips) is now broken since weeks. Can I
>> expect this to be corrected before the release, or should anybody
>> relying on mipsel package feeds stop using oe-core's
>> meta/conf/machine/include/mips/arch-mips.inc?
>
> Sorry, I got distracted by a ton of other issues. I think the cleanup
> did make sense and things are more correct now, its just a shame about
> the package feed naming issue.
>
> There comes a point we need to try and clean up some of these things so
> my proposal would be that people who don't want to use the new naming
> set the following in their distro config:
>
> MIPSPKGSFX_VARIANT_tune-mips32el = "mipsel"
>
> and then should still be able to use the arch-mips.inc from OE-Core.
> Does that work for people?

I wonder why this point has to be during the stabilisation phase before
the release, considering much less intrusive changes are not getting
applied.

Setting this variable is a partial workaround. PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS also
broke for tune-mips32.inc, so this has to be set, too. The easiest thing
for everybody would however be to revert "Cleanup MIPS tunings to match
README" and to drop tune-mips, which was unused.

Maybe I would have understood why the patch "Cleanup MIPS tunings to
match README" was applied, if the README hadn't been created just the
same day. Usually the README should describe how something works and not
serve as an artificial reason to break things.

If the overall conclusion is that optimisation settings should be
encoded in the package architecture, I still wonder why -Os and -O2
aren't encoded or why tune-mips still creates 'mips' and not 'mips1'
packages.

So, inconsistent but deployed code has been replaced by inconsistent but
new code. And there's no time left to improve the new inconsistent code
so short before the release, I guess.

Sorry for the rant.

Regards,
Andreas