[OE-core] Yocto Project 1.2 Release Status

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Apr 18 17:11:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 09:22 -0700, Chris Larson wrote:

>>> Just because people have things to push or are pushing things which
>>> aren't bugfixes doesn't mean their time is being taken up by anything
>>> but stabilization right now. Your statement implies that everything
>>> being pushed is being currently worked on, which is incorrect. I'm
>>> sure Mentor isn't the only company with a backlog of already complete
>>> local changes to get upstream..
>>
>> So you're saying Mentor has been working on stabilization and has a
>> queue of bugfixes which they've not shared?
>
> No, I never said they were just bugfixes. If they were low impact
> bugfixes, they'd have a shot at making it into the release, especially
> if they're critical, no?

Further, again you're ignoring previous work. Whether we've been
working on stabilization right now is irrelevent given we have
previous work to push. Mentor has been using OE for its products for
years, to expect that a very small team which has to focus on customer
issues is going to catch up on all of that effort in a short period of
time is unreasonable. We've been working against our backlog for
months, and will continue to do so until we're caught up. The frozen
tree just slows that down even more.

If you want folks like us working more closely with upstream, then you
have to realize that folks are going to have changes to push which
aren't bugfixes (or aren't critical), and contrary to your
implication, does not imply that folks are ignoring the stabilization
efffort. Previous work needs to go up, and isn't occupying current
development effort.
--
Christopher Larson