[OE-core] adding package nss in rootfs failed with dependency "/usr/local/bin/perl"

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Apr 24 15:21:05 UTC 2012

On 4/24/12 8:23 AM, Jegan Chandru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have cross compiled NSS 3.13.1 for x86 64 bit environment, but when I try to
> add NSS package in rootfs, i am getting the following error,
>
> /error: Failed dependencies:
> /usr/local/bin/perl is needed by nss-3.13.1-r0.x86_64/
>
> I know perl is needed for nss, but the path which is trying to look perl, is
> quite confusing me, for perl doesn't exist in that location at all. Can anyone
> please tell me whats going on here and what have I missed?

This is a bug in the nss package.  It has an executable shell script that has a:

#! /usr/local/bin/perl

in it, which causes RPM to add a dependency on that specific path, and nothing
is providing the path.

The fix is either, decide this is a sample/demo shell script and remove it from
the nss package -- or fix the script to use the proper perl location of
"${bindir}/perl"

> P.S: I am using Yocto-1.1.1 and Ubuntu host-11.10 64 bit.

--Mark