[OE-core] how to fix WARNING: QA Issue: libpam: installed in the base_prefix, requires a shared library under exec_prefix

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Aug 3 18:22:17 UTC 2012

On 8/3/12 1:07 PM, Yao Zhao wrote:
> On 12-08-03 01:45 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 8/3/12 11:44 AM, Yao Zhao wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Any suggestion to fix these kinds of QA warnings?
>>>
>>> libpam is referencing /usr/lib/libcrack from /lib/security.
>>>
>>> I tried to fix cracklib to install to /lib but cracklib is using other
>>> libraries from /usr/lib, I am afraid that I am touching a chain, so any
>>> good ideas?
>>
>> Historically I'm used to cracklib being in /lib... but I also don't
>> remember a huge chain of additional libraries.
>>
> libcrack is depending on libz and libz is in usr/lib too.
> Seems libz didn't depend another.
>
> What exactly reason that this is a serious problem? Is this a standard?
> It is quite possible that a lib library depending on usr/lib then .....
> Do we have a one-shot cure?

The QA message is because the / (non-/usr) was originally designed to be the
minimal boot environment, and then /usr would be added to provide the full
system capabilities.  There are some advantages to this behavior for embedded
systems, as it can allow for smaller footprint systems to be the boot environment.

With modern components like udev, systemd, and such, sometimes it's difficult,
if not nearly impossible to have this split though, as many of the components
require libraries and/or binaries that normally reside in /usr.   Generally we
have the choice to either move the libraries or binaries, or break the
dependency on those items (by changing the configuration, statically linking, or
changing the behavior so the library/binary is no longer needed.)

I suspect libz is needed because the cracklib dictionary is compressed.
Dependending on usage, it may make sense to statically link libz into libcrack,
and move libcrack to /lib.

--Mark