[OE-core] proper(?) way to *require* an earlier, unsupported version of a recipe file?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Aug 6 17:02:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 12:02 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> what is the OE philosophy for preferring an earlier version of a
> recipe file that doesn't even exist anymore?  for example, the
> "watchdog" recipe was recently upgraded from 5.11 to 5.12.  in the
> process, the recipe file for 5.11 was removed; therefore, i interpret
> that as that OE-core no longer supports that version, which is fine.
>
>   hypothetically, what if someone still *needed* that earlier version?
> would it be their responsibility to, say, create a new layer that
> re-introduced that older, now-unsupported version?  just curious.

Well, if there is some reason 5.11 is much better "we" as in OE-Core
would like to know about it to evaluate if we should be keeping it
around for some reason. If the reason you want that particular version
is specific to you then yes, your own layer would be the place to
maintain it (or a layer shared with other like minded users).