[OE-core] Configurable host name

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Aug 8 13:36:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> On 8 August 2012 10:30, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
>> hostname_pn-base-files = "my-distro-rocks"
>
> Aha.  I was looking at the hostname variable in there and wondering if
> it could be overridden.  That satisfies my itch for now, considering
> the drawback of causing everything to rebuild if a global variable
> were changed.

To clarify, changing a global variable doesn't cause everything to
rebuild. As was pointed out, it ends up in all the metadata for all
the recipes, but that doesn't mean it ends up in the task checksums.
The metadata checksumming tracks variable dependencies, and will only
rebuild the tasks which use the variable, directly or indirectly. Now,
*exported* variables are a rather different beast, but that's not what
we're talking about here.

Note that I'm not arguing in favor of adding another global variable,
but I did want to make sure you understand the actual behavior of the
system in this regard.
--
Christopher Larson