[OE-core] wanting to clarify ASSUME_PROVIDED and SANITY_REQUIRED_UTILITIES

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Aug 11 12:38:58 UTC 2012

  recently, i know that the entry "git-native" was added to the
entries in ASSUME_PROVIDED in bitbake.conf:

ASSUME_PROVIDED = "\
    bzip2-native \
    git-native \
    grep-native \
    diffstat-native \
    patch-native \
    perl-native-runtime \
    python-native-runtime \
    tar-native \
    virtual/libintl-native \
    "

ostensibly because it's now reasonable to assume that any sane distro
should be able to provide an oe-compatible version of git.  so far, so
good.  but there's this in sanity.bbclass:

SANITY_REQUIRED_UTILITIES ?= "patch diffstat texi2html makeinfo git
bzip2 tar gzip gawk chrpath wget cpio"

how do those two relate to one another?

  sanity.bbclass appears to list the native tools that *must* exist on
the dev host, but what if one doesn't?  is it then downloaded and
built unless it's in "ASSUME_PROVIDED"?

  as an example, consider "cpio".  sanity.bbclass suggests it *must*
exist natively, but it's not part of ASSUME_PROVIDED so i had
originally understood that to mean that it would necessarily have to
be downloaded (as source), then built so it was available natively.

  but i just ran "bitbake -c fetchall core-image-minimal" and there is
no cpio source in my downloads directory.  yes, of course i have it
installed natively, but based on the above, i had assumed it would be
downloaded and built.  so what am i misunderstanding here?

  also, is there any convenient way to examine my current dev host to
see what native utilities are candidates for adding to my local
ASSUME_PROVIDED?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca