[OE-core] wpa-supplicant & EAP-TLS

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Aug 15 10:47:52 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-14 14:30, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 08:47 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I don't see anything explicit on this topic.  That said, the latest version
>> (1.0) is dual licensed GPL and BSD and the OpenSSL license is BSD compatible
>> from what I can tell.
>
> Yes, wpa-supplicant itself has been OK in this respect for some time.
> (The dual-licensing option has actually been removed for the very latest
> versions of wpa-supplicant and it's now under the BSD license only, but
> this is fine for OpenSSL compatibility purposes.)  However, there are
> quite a lot of other SSL-using programs which are only licensed under
> GPL terms and linking these with OpenSSL is problematic for some people.
> In an ideal world the oe-core license machinery would be able to detect
> and warn about that conflict, but I don't think we are quite there yet.
>
> As a general rule, we don't want to build and ship multiple SSL
> implementations when one will suffice.  GnuTLS seems to be the most
> compatible (in license terms) which is why it is generally the default.
> However, DISTROs which don't need to worry about the OpenSSL-GPL
> conflict for whatever reason might legitimately want to use OpenSSL
> globally, and DISTROs which aren't too bothered about potentially
> shipping both might legitimately want to use OpenSSL for specific
> packages like wpa-supplicant even if they have GnuTLS elsewhere.

I looked a bit into this and found that OE-core is already rather
schizo on this topic, so I'm not quite sure what needs to be done
here (i.e. should there be a DISTRO_FEATURES switch that chooses only
one?)  It would seem that all systems (at least those with wpa-supplicant
included) will already have both SSL libraries installed.

opsnssl is used in these packages:
   midori
   socat
   curl-native