[OE-core] RFC: OE-Core task rework

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 15 12:59:43 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 15 August 2012 12:17:40 Jack Mitchell wrote:
> > 1) Do we rename "task" to something a little more understandable to the
> > uninitiated, such as "package group"? The word "task" is already used in a
> > much more natural sense within bitbake as a unit of work. Historically I
> > believe we picked up this term from Debian but I'm not aware of
> > significant use by other mainstream distributions.
>
> Do the 'tasks' do anything other than specify meta-data groups? If they
> don't include any glue or additional processes then I strongly agree
> that the name should be changed.

They don't, no. Usually they are just lists of packages, although sometimes
there is some very basic logic to conditionally include/exclude some packages
based on DISTRO_FEATURES, MACHINE_FEATURES, COMBINED_FEATURES etc. or allow
substitution of default packages with others using variables.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton