[OE-core] RFC: OE-Core task rework

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Aug 15 19:12:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
>>   * The tasks can be used and referred to on the target if desired, not
>> just
>> when you compose the image (i.e. task packages are produced and thus the
>> package manager knows about them).
>

> I think this is a key advantage.  Again, if we think of these tasks as
> logical groups of functionality, it gives an image developer (or installer)
> the ability to say "I need booting, discrete commands, python, perl, and LSB
> compliance." and get a system in the end that -should- work.
>
> The image/installer should always be able to specify individual recipes as
> well, but often inexperienced users won't know that they need two or three
> recipes (that don't have actual dependencies on each other) to get a
> functionally complete answer.

It seems like you're arguing in favor of the ability to add groups of
packages to an image, which no one disagrees with, and isn't really
relevant to the bit you're quoting. The bit that tasks add that
package groups / image features don't is the ability to add them after
the fact at runtime, not image creation time.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com