[OE-core] RFC: One X Server To Rule Them All

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Fri Aug 17 12:12:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

It's bugged me for a while that oe-core is shipping both "big" X.org
(in two variations) and "small" kdrive.  A quick review shows:

- oe-core is using X.org for the qemu images on all platforms
- meta-yocto is using big X.org for Atom, "lite" Xorg for beagleboard,
and kdrive for mpc8315e/routerstationpro.
- meta-ti is using xserver-xorg (and not the lite variation for
beagle).  It also ships a binary kdrive-based Xsgx, but that doesn't
require kdrive in oe-core.

I looked at a few other BSPs but the ones I found appeared to leave X
server choice to the user.  I also see that meta-oe is shipping
another X.org server.

Some consolidation is required, obviously.

Xorg lite is just X.org with --disable-dri --disable-glx
--disable-dga.  I need to investigate how much a difference that
actually makes to the server binary and if it can be controlled by
machine features or more granular packaging.

Here's my plan:
1) Investigate differences between xorg/xorg-lite/kdrive, producing a
feature matrix and binary size comparison.  Then assuming it's fine:
2) Remove xorg-lite, switch beagleboard in meta-yocto to X.org as per
meta-ti's example
3) Remove kdrive, switch meta-yocto's remaining machines  to X.org
4) Review differences between oe-core and meta-oe's X.org, merge,
unification at last, street party.

I'm sure the combined members of oe-core and oe-devel have something
to say about this.  Comments welcome!

I'd obviously need to test X.org on the MPC8315e and RouterStation
Pro, so if anyone has one of these set up then offering to test would
be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ross