[OE-core] Toolchain rework, call for testing

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Aug 21 12:23:46 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-21 06:00, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 13:55 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> W dniu 17.08.2012 06:47, Khem Raj pisze:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> Recently glibc build has been simplified upstream. It has dropped the
>>> dependency on libgcc_s and libgcc_eh for building glibc itself.
>>> This means that we can simplify our toolchain bootstrap a bit by
>>> dropping 1 of the 3 cross gcc build stages. We do not need
>>> gcc-cross-intermediate anymore.
>>
>> Please adapt also toolchain-layer in meta-oe for those stuck with gcc 4.6.
>
> Why is it that gcc-4.7 doesn't work for those people?

I have troubles with older versions of the Linux kernel on ARM.  Anything
older than 3.2 either doesn't boot or is unstable.  Kernel only, user code
built with 4.7+ seems to be fine.  Since I need to use those older kernels
and I don't have the time/budget to figure out why they don't work with 4.7+,
I'm sticking with 4.6+ for now.