[OE-core] [RFC] Replacing chrpath with patchelf

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 00:21:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 10:15 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> so I figured. which now means you need to have patchelf on build host
>> preinstalled instead of chrpath.
>
> That'd be a bit of a pain, since (afaict) patchelf is not so widely
> available in host distributions as chrpath.
>
>> you never know. It just lifts this limitation. We ship
>> chrpath-nativesdk as well and people can use it in different ways
>
> I agree that removing the weird and arbitrary-seeming (from the user
> perspective) restriction on rpath length would be a good thing.  But
> it's less clear that swapping a weird restriction that few people will
> ever run into for a requirement to pre-install a relatively obscure host
> binary on all systems is a good tradeoff.

patchelf does have packages for all familiar linux distros but its not in
their default feeds. May be it will be nicer to create one meta
package which installs
all prerequisites not only chrpath/patchelf and maintain that ourselves
this could be nicer since then user only installs

apt-get install make-my-host-compile-oe package on ubuntu and similar
for others.