[OE-core] Heads up: xxx-nativesdk -> nativesdk-xxx change

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Aug 25 16:46:53 UTC 2012

As was previous discussed on the list a while ago, we have a problem
with nativesdk where the code is getting complex and convoluted as its
simply not possible to automatically "extend" using a suffix.

Extension using a prefix works comparatively well be comparison as shown
by the multilib code. Its for this reason I'd like to switch the
meta-toolchain nativesdk recipes to become a prefix rather than a
suffix.

I'm going to propose some patches soon that do this. The patches are
fairly nasty to write and maintain so will need to merge fairly quickly.

If anyone does have a strong objection to this change, now is the time
to raise it. I'd prefer not to have to do this but having considered all
the options, its the best thing to do for the future and will result in
cleaner metadata (look at PKGSUFFIX in eglibc for an example of how
messy this gets).

Note that -native are unchanged and there is no problem or planned
change which them, this just affects nativesdk.

An example WIP patch is:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rpurdie/t1&id=2aa1acf11dd26bc194668be81544d08ab5e9bb24