[OE-core] Bitbake distro packages: kill them with fire

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:27:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:
> These might not be the appropiate lists, but I might reach a few of the culprits. Over the years people have been doing 'apt get install bitbake' or 'make install' to put bitbake into /usr/bin and after a few minutes to get on irc/email/etc to complain that everything is suddenly broken. There are checks for bitbake versions in the metadata, but it can (and will!) still break with due to python path nastiness.
>
> So to every person packaging bitbake for their distro: stop doing that!
>
> If someone has a better suggestion to avoid this problem (more documentation doesn't work), please speak up.

I certainly agree that documentation doesn't work (for the most part).
But maybe it wouldn't hurt to put in a small note about this issue in
the quick start guide(s)? Perhaps in the section where it is telling
you what packages you need installed before starting, it could include
a note to make sure to not have bitbake installed from your distro?