[OE-core] RFC: Adding HarfBuzz

Marko Lindqvist cazfi74 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 01:40:52 UTC 2012

HarfBuzz is OpenType text shaping engine that pango 1.32 depends on.
(Configure checks harfbuzz first, and if it's not available, number
of other checks are skipped as it considers freetype et al unusable
for pango without harfbuzz -> eventually it complained that there's
no single backend enabled)

I have problems getting (any) images to work properly at the moment
(I assume qemu bug/misconfiguration) so I have not yet seen if this
actually works at all. I only know that this harfbuzz + new pango
builds without problems for arm, x86, and mips.

The main known problem is handling of licenses. I've listed all the
right files in LIC_FILES_CHKSUM, and managed to get sensible LICENSE
entry for a couple of them (hb-ucdn -> UCDN, hb-icu-le -> ICU) but I'm
at loss what to make of remaining ones. COPYING states that it's
"so called Old MIT", so I didn't make it "MIT" but put "Old-MIT" as
placeholder. hb-old seems like unique license, which placeholder is
"HarfBuzz-old"

Building requires icu 50.1.1:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2012-December/033574.html

 - ML