[OE-core] what exactly is the proper way to use FILESEXTRAPATHS?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Dec 6 23:15:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 15:27 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> continuing my trek through coding pedantry and was wondering about
> the exact purpose of the common line in .bbappend files:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
>
> or some slight variation thereof.
>
>   i *thought* i knew what it did, so i did a small experiment with the
> meta-ti layer and netbase (since i was already messing around with
> it), and i replaced the contents of the netbase .bbappend file with
> the single line:
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "rday"
>
> and checked the environment for the value of FILESPATH for the netbase
> recipe and, after formatting to read it clearly, what i saw was:
>
> FILESPATH="rday/linux-gnueabi
> rday/arm
> rday/build-linux
> rday/pn-netbase
> rday/beagleboard
> rday/omap3
> rday/armv7a
> rday/
> rday/class-target
> rday/forcevariable
> rday/libc-glibc
> rday/
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/linux-gnueabi
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/arm
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/build-linux
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/pn-netbase
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/beagleboard
> /home/rpjday/OE/dist/layers/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/netbase/netbase-5.0/omap3
> ... snip ...
>
>   what the heck?  if that's what FILESEXTRAPATHS is supposed to do,
> that is definitely *not* how it's being used in many, many bbappend
> files.
>
>   is there an explanation somewhere as to what the above is supposed
> to represent?

What is puzzling about the above? Its doing what it was designed to do.

The idea is to add the directory listed to the set of directories that
get "autogenerated" from OVERRIDES as search locations. What did you
expect it to do?

FWIW there is no need to use := with FILESEXTRAPATHS, or prepend for
that matter, just use +=/=+.