[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] EXPORT_FUNCTIONS - change in behaviour proposal

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Dec 10 17:29:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> After Enrico's reported problem, I've been poking around the
> EXPORT_FUNCTIONS code. Currently OE-Core metadata generates list A
> below. In particular, this leads to code like:
>
>  do_configure calls gnomebase_do_configure
>  gnomebase_do_configure calls autotools_do_configure
>
> which has a level of indirection. The gnomebase class never references
> do_configure. I can appreciate adding in a default mapping of:
>
>  do_configure calls autotools_do_configure
>
> since it allows a user to call into autotools_do_configure from a custom
> do_configure but I can't see the value of the intermediary
> gnomebase_do_configure. Does anyone know of a use for it?
>
> I have a suspicion that if it ever did do anything useful, it stopped
> being useful long ago.
>
> I'm therefore strongly tempted to remove the intermediaries from the
> code. This would result in list B below which is a more direct set of
> mappings.
>
> Any thoughts/comments from anyone?

In theory, I could see a situation where one class inherits another, rather
than just individual components all inherited by the recipe.

E.g. in class alpha:

inherit beta

alpha_do_stuff () {
   pre_stuff
   beta_do_stuff
   post_stuff
}

But this is a theoretical case, and often we hack around things via
_prepend/_append rather than doing things like this, so I doubt this is
actually done anywhere in practice.
--
Christopher Larson