[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] EXPORT_FUNCTIONS - change in behaviour proposal

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Dec 10 19:41:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > E.g. in class alpha:
> >
> > inherit beta
> >
> > alpha_do_stuff () {
> >    pre_stuff
> >    beta_do_stuff
> >    post_stuff
> > }
> >
> > But this is a theoretical case, and often we hack around things via
> > _prepend/_append rather than doing things like this, so I doubt this
> > is actually done anywhere in practice.
>
> With an "EXPORT_FUNCTIONS = do_stuff" in alpha.bbclass, wouldn't that
> still work without the intermediaries though?

Hmm, yes, good point. Perhaps it was to allow the user to override an
intermediate function that might or might not exist?

E.g. in the do_configure calls gnomebase_do_configure calls
autotools_do_configure case, the user could override
gnomebase_do_configure, without having to know whether or not gnomebase
actually defines a configure function?

I'm guessing here, but that *could* be why it was implemented this way. In
practice, however, we have to know what our classes are doing anyway, most
of the time, for a wide variety of reasons. E.g. uses of overrides have to
be operated against carefully to avoid your changes being blown away.
--
Christopher Larson