[OE-core] Performance numbers

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Feb 6 13:57:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 14:32 +0100, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Eric Bénard wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Le Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:01:15 +0000,
> > Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> a écrit :
> >
> > > Its been a while since we had some performance numbers and there were
> > > recently some questions about how current build time compared to
> > > previous numbers.
> > >
> > > On my 12 core system, build time for qemux86 from scratch is ~42
> > > minutes. This compares favourably with previous numbers from that
> > > system. Interestingly, switching to qemumips resulted in a build time of
> > > 43 minutes in the same tmpdir suggesting that the native part of the
> > > bootstrap process isn't the bottleneck.
> > >
> > > On the quad core (the system used for many of the previous numbers I'd
> > > provided), build time for qemux86 was 105 minutes which again is roughly
> > > consistent with where things were for 1.1.
> > >
> > what are your settings (PARALLEL_MAKE & BB_NUMBER_THREADS) used in
> > both cases ?
>
> And what's the target in your tests?
>
> My quad core does core-image-minimal-mtdutils for qemux86* from scratch
> in ~ 100 minutes.

Sorry, I should have said. Both are for building core-image-sato which
is what I usually use as the benchmark. The quad core is running 8 bb
threads and 4 parallel make. The 12 core was set to 48/48 but anything
over 24 gives the build time above and this is effectively "unlimited"
as it very rarely hits 48 tasks in parallel.