[OE-core] armhf support in OpenEmbedded?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Tue Feb 7 07:49:46 UTC 2012

Op 6 feb. 2012, om 22:22 heeft Mark Hatle het volgende geschreven:

> On 2/6/12 3:17 PM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>
>> Op 6 feb. 2012, om 22:01 heeft Leon Woestenberg het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> do we already have support for the ARM "armhf" ABI in OpenEmbedded?  (A quick search on the ML didn't get me hits).
>>>
>>> Basically,"armhf" is built with -mfloat-abi=hard, and tuned for armv7-a CPUs.
>>
>> Yes, we've had it for ages in OE-classic and Marks tune overhaul made it easy to use in OE-core as well. Also note that armhf has practically no adavantage over softfp in real world applications. The only things getting a decent speedup in proper benchmarks was povray.
>
> I strongly discourage people from using it.  If you don't care about ABI compatibility it might be a few cycles faster..

The issue with hf isn't technical, it's that projects like debian and ubuntu are hyping it. Debian tells everyone how much faster hf is, neglicting to say that their previous tune is armv4t. So from softfp-armv4t to hardfp-armv7a...

> but it does limit your ability to draw from existing EABI software.  (Be it commercial or open source.)
>
> (And yes, I realize this is a minor concern for most embedded systems.. but it is an issue.)

I discussed that at length during my job interview at TI about 3 years ago, we're finally seeing the problem in real life :)

regards,

Koen