[OE-core] Fwd: [oe] Source Archiver Class

Xiaofeng Yan xiaofeng.yan at windriver.com
Mon Feb 13 10:41:15 UTC 2012

Hi Saul,

I have some issues when I writing design document. The following
description is my  understanding. I take package "zlib" for example .

> This is a progression list of what the source archives should include:
>
> 1 - Original Upstream Archive & Patches
>     - 2 archives (tarballs)
$ls zlib-orgsource
zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_fetch)
zlib-patches.tar.bz2( the patches come from
meta/recipes-core/zlib/zlib-1.2.5)
> 2 - Original Source code & Patches
>     - could include additional code
          Please give me more detailed information
>     - post unpack
>     - 1 archive
$ls zlib-orgsource
zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_unpack, patches are not included in this
package.)

No patch in this directory.

> 3 - Original Source code & Patches & temp (scripts & logs)
>     - Could possibly include the .bb and .inc files
>     - 2 archives (from #2 & temp tarball)
$ls zlib-orgsource
  zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_unpack, patches are not included in this
package.)
  zlib-patches.tar.bz2( the patches come from
meta/recipes-core/zlib/zlib-1.2.5)
  zlib-scripts-logs.tar.bz2(include zlib_1.2.5.bb,zlib.inc and tmp/log_*)

So there are 3 tarballs in this directory.
> 4 - Patched source code
>     - original source code could be removed
>     - post do_patch
$ls zlib-source
zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_patch)
> 5 - Patched source code & temp
>     - 2 archives (from #4 & temp tarball)
$ls zlib-source
zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_patch)
zlib-logs.tar.bz2(include tmp/log_*)
> 6 - Configured Source
>     - post do_configure
$ls zlib-source
zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_configure)
> 7 - SRPM format of Original Source & Patches
>   - rpm will apply the patches
>   - internally contains #2 above
$ls zlib-srpm
zlib-1.2.5.src.rpm

zlib-1.2.5.src.rpm includes zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_unpack, patches
are not included in this package.) and zlib-patches.tar.bz2
> 8 - SRPM various of #3 above
$ls zlib-srpm
zlib-1.2.5.src.rpm

zlib-1.2.5.src.rpm includes zlib-1.2.5.tar.bz2(after do_unpack, patches
are not included in this package.) ,zlib-patches.tar.bz2 and
zlib-scripts-logs.tar.bz2

Do you have any suggestion about the above description?

Thanks
Yan