[OE-core] Problem building core-image-basic: Cannot create symlink from ./var/run to 'volatile/run'

Brandon Stafford brandon at rascalmicro.com
Wed Feb 15 23:21:46 UTC 2012

Hi all,

In trying to build core-image-basic for qemuarm, I ran into an error:
extract_archive:
Cannot create symlink from ./var/run to 'volatile/run': File exists.

(The full error message is posted here: http://pastebin.com/QPic3uHx )

Though this seems very similar to a post from a few months ago, I am not
sure how to go about debugging it:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-October/035409.html

Can other folks build core-image-basic successfully? Any suggestions about
how to determine which recipe is attempting to make the symlink?

>From what I can tell, the culprits could be meta/files/fs-perms.txt
or meta/recipes-core/base-files/base-files_3.0.14.bb, but I'm not sure
where to go from there. If it helps, I am able to build core-image-minimal
successfully.

Thanks,
Brandon

--
Brandon Stafford
Rascal Micro: small computers for art and science