[OE-core] bitbake parsing of IMAGE_INSTALL += # tslib mtd-utils" extremely user unfriendly.

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Feb 21 12:56:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 23:00 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> bitbake can really braindump on us when we insert typo's.  The result
> of bitbake 1.14 parsing this one wasn't pleasant:
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL += # tslib mtd-utils"
>
> (Yes, it's a typo. No, I wouldn't expect bitbake to give me that much
> output :) )

What was the output? (I realise I can find out)

With usability issues like this, opening a bug in
bugzilla.yoctoproject.org is a good idea, particularly as we've been
focusing on cleaning up this kind of problem. Reporting them with a
known reproducible test case helps a lot as when you're looking to try
and fix these things, you need a good set of reproducers.

As a quick plug for the work that's been done already, we've now worked
through many of the issues that were reported so it is worth taking the
time to report them! :)