[OE-core] elfutils - missing dependency on bzip2?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sun Feb 26 23:24:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 09:25 -0800, Steve Sakoman wrote:
> After a pull this morning the rebuild if elfutils fails with:
>
> | /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbz2
> | collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> | make[3]: *** [libdw.so] Error 1
> | make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/media/Work/yocto/tmp/work/i686-linux/elfutils-native-0.148-r5/elfutils-0.148/libdw'
>
> If I build bzip2-native and then rebuild elfutils-native all is well
> and the build continues until the next failure (mesa-dri-glsl-native,
> fwiw, haven't investigated that one yet).

This sounds like there might be a floating dependency in elfutils on
bzip2, if its present. We probably need to lock that down one way or
another.

> Anyone else see this, or is it just another case of my build machines
> being in a strange state?

I've seen mesa-dri-glsl-native myself and if its the same issue, this is
something the signature changes have highlighted. It was there before,
that change just exposed it.

Basically, the problem is compile running twice. You could do it before
with something like:

bitbake mesa-dri-glsl-native
bitbake mesa-dri-glsl-native -c compile -f

We either need to fix these makefile issues or run "make clean" against
them before rerunning make.