[OE-core] Including the kernel in the image

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Feb 28 15:48:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

For some boot configurations (e.g. kexecboot) having the kernel binary in the
image is required. In OE Classic, task-boot used to always include the kernel
binary in the image (via RRECOMMENDS, so it could be uninstalled). We don't
currently have this in OE-Core and I was wondering what the new preferred way
to have this done would be.

Obviously we could go and add it to various images or even to task-core-boot
again but I'm not sure that's ideal. Wanting the kernel in the image is really
machine-specific (or to be precise, boot method specific); so I'm wondering if
adding it to MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS for all machines likely to
need it is the right thing to do?

Cheers,
Paul

--