[OE-core] sstate compression

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Wed Jan 4 16:53:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 16:47 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Just to note that looking for multiple versions can cause a fair bit of
> network traffic as for http:// mirror urls it will have to wget each in
> turn.

True, though I suppose if the fetching was to be moved into python
(rather than an external wget) then it would just be repeated GETs over
a single persistent connection which wouldn't be all that much overhead.
And, even with non-persistent connections, the amount of data involved
in establishing an extra TCP connection and sending a GET is fairly
negligible compared to the size of the download you're going to end up
doing.

>Better would be one file name and dynamic detection of the
>compression format I guess.

Yes, or that.  It's a shame that "tar -a" doesn't have the capability to
determine the compression method using magic numbers instead of the
filename.

p.