[OE-core] libs transition /usr/lib -> /lib questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Jan 6 16:51:07 UTC 2012

On 1/6/12 10:43 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 6 jan. 2012, om 17:16 heeft Richard Purdie het volgende geschreven:

>>> In my opinion, what's proposed in the two links is a good thing even
>>> for embedded. Not that we'd use that structure necessarily, but
>>> removing the usr vs non-usr separation for binaries and libs is a good
>>> thing regardless. Putting /usr in the rootfs still would still work
>>> fine, or you could drop usr entirely and move everything to / the way
>>> micro does.
>>
>> The nice thing is we have a system which can actually support the
>> different options relatively easily and without much conflict.
>
> Except that things like fs-perms.txt store hardcoded values :(

Yes "hard coded values" that include expandable variables:

# Documentation should always be corrected
${mandir}               0755    root    root    true    0644    root    root
${infodir}              0755    root    root    true    0644    root    root
${docdir}               0755    root    root    true    0644    root    root

etc..

The format of this file was specifically setup to allow for people to adjust the
value of the exec_prefix, libdir, etc as necessary without having to change the
default fs-perms.txt.  (Also keep in mind the expectation for distributions to
add their own locations when necessary.)

--Mark